The evil eye is a term used to describe misfortune. It is transmitted from one person to another out of jealousy or envy. The misfortune of the victim may manifest as sickness, loss of wealth or family, or a streak of general bad luck. The person inflicting the evil eye may do so with or without intention.
So, whenever Muslims are happy for others, they are supposed to say Ma-Sha-Allah (as lords will). They should recite Quran verses to make others safe from their evil eye. There are many verses mentioned in Hadith to seek our Lord protection from evil eyes.
Muslims has to protect themselves against the devils among the evil jinn and mankind. They are suppose to have strong faith in Allah and by putting their trust in Him alone. By seeking refuge with Him and reciting the prayers for protection as narrated from the Prophet Muhammad PBUH i.e. the last two chapters of the Quran.
- And the unbelievers who are bent on denying the truth, would all but kill you with their eyes whenever they hear this message. And they say, ‘Surely, he [Mohammad] is a man possessed! (Quran 68:51)
- Say: ‘I seek refuge with the Lord of the Dawn, from the mischief of created things; from the mischief of darkness as it overspreads; from the mischief of those who practice secret arts and from the mischief of the envious one as he practices envy. (Quran 113:1-5)
- The Messenger of Allah used to seek refuge from the evil eye of the Jinn and the evil eye of humans.(Nasa’i – 5494)
- Ibn Abbas reported: The Prophet PBUH said, “The evil eye is true. If anything could outstrip the decree, it would be outstripped by the evil eye. When you take a bath, then wash well. (Sahih Muslim – 2188)
- The Messenger of Allah PBUH said, If one of you sees something from his brother, or in himself, or in his wealth which impresses him, then supplicate for him to be blessed in it. Verily, the evil eye of envy is true. (Musnad Aḥmad – 15273)
- I seek protection in the perfect words of Allah from every evil that He has created. (Muslim – 2709)
- Allah is sufficient for me; there is no god but He. On Him is my trust, He is the Lord of the Mighty Throne. (Quran – 9:129)
- Narrated Um Salamah, that the Prophet PBUH saw in her house a girl whose face had a black spot. He said, she is under the effect of an evil eye, so treat her with a Ruqya. (Al-Bukhari – 5739)
These were some facts about the evil eye i.e. how it works, how to make oneself secure, how to make other secure from our evil eye and what to be done if someone gets affected by it. But there is another side of the coin that I intend to share with my readers. It is about the fake means used by the fakesters to earn easy money by fooling people with their lies.
It is most commonly practiced in the subcontinent. People do not read Quran and sayings of Muhammad PBUH by themselves and they get betrayed by the fake mentors and clerics. They used self-made rituals to cure people from the evil eye. They get spiritually abused willing, not knowing what they are doing has nothing to do with Islam. Following are some of the fake rituals that are being done in the name of Islam.
Feeding the eagles and crows, doing charity of goats after the ill person touches it, visiting shrines of Sufi saints, putting money in the boxes placed on shrines, asking help from the dead saints, going to the fortune tellers, moving the head of a black slaughtered sheep over the ills person head and throwing it in a river, reading self-made verses, using amulets to wear (in the neck, arm, and waist) and using written amulets to drink by adding them in water etc.
There are many more things that the fakesters advise their mentorees to do. Just to earn easy money and fame. People pay huge amount of money for easy cures. But the funny thing is that this money is considered as a gift rather than fees.
But the fact remains the same, evil eye is a real thing. And its cure is available in the Quran and sayings of Prophet PBUH in the form of prayers and some rituals. Still, a huge Muslim population do not want to read what Allah says in the Quran and what his Messenger PBUH has said in hadith. Whereas they prefer listening to their fake mentors and clerics, using amulets and following fake rituals and easy means to get free of the evil eye.